logo eng  Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

  • Polish
  • Ukrainian
  • English

Plan katedry

Chapel of St. Casimir

Two chapels of St. Casimir and St. Joseph are adjoined to the presbytery directly. The first one has originated from the second part of the XVIII c. with an alter and an icon dedicated to prince St. Casimir Jagiellon (second half of XIX c.). The second one is located vis à visand called the chapel of Zamojski of the third quarter of XVIII c. Late renaissance alter of XIX c. made from alabaster is adorned with the image of St. Joseph with the Child. At the entrance against the wall the alabaster tombstone of the archbishop Jan Zamojki (1604-1614) and a little bit further Jan Tarnowski (1654-1669)tombstone are situated. Both archbishops are represented in the pontifical vestment in a horizontal position. Moreover, on the opposite wall the marble epitaph of archbishop Tomasz Pirawski (1564-1625) and the memorial of general Józef Dwernicki from 1868 by Parys Filippi chisel moved after the Ukrainian devastation in 1991 from the church of Carmelites are located. Two sacristies to the St. Casimir chapel are adjoined. The first one is called capitular or canonical (chapterhouse) and vicar’s one. In the first one the central place is occupied by the late renaissance alter from the end of XVI c., donated by Lviv family of Zapal, with the image of Christ crucifixion, but the vault is adorned with the polychrome by Stanisław Stroiński brush since 1771. In the second sacristy the polychrome of the same painter is present dated from the third quarter of XVIII c.

Read more: Chapel of St. Casimir

 

Chapel St. Joseph

Two chapels of St. Casimir and St. Joseph are adjoined to the presbytery directly. The first one has originated from the second part of the XVIII c. with an alter and an icon dedicated to prince St. Casimir Jagiellon (second half of XIX c.). The second one is located vis à visand called the chapel of Zamojski of the third quarter of XVIII c. Late renaissance alter of XIX c. made from alabaster is adorned with the image of St. Joseph with the Child. At the entrance against the wall the alabaster tombstone of the archbishop Jan Zamojki (1604-1614) and a little bit further Jan Tarnowski (1654-1669)tombstone are situated. Both archbishops are represented in the pontifical vestment in a horizontal position. Moreover, on the opposite wall the marble epitaph of archbishop Tomasz Pirawski (1564-1625) and the memorial of general Józef Dwernicki from 1868 by Parys Filippi chisel moved after the Ukrainian devastation in 1991 from the church of Carmelites are located. Two sacristies to the St. Casimir chapel are adjoined. The first one is called capitular or canonical (chapterhouse) and vicar’s one. In the first one the central place is occupied by the late renaissance alter from the end of XVI c., donated by Lviv family of Zapal, with the image of Christ crucifixion, but the vault is adorned with the polychrome by Stanisław Stroiński brush since 1771. In the second sacristy the polychrome of the same painter is present dated from the third quarter of XVIII c.

Read more: Chapel St. Joseph

   

Chapel or St. Antony

The next chapel was created in the third quarter of the XVIII c. and is of Mary, Mother of Jesus or St. Antony. The polychrome with the characters of Polish patrons such as: St. Adalbert, St. Stanislaus the bishop, St. Florian, St. Michael the Archangel and St. Stanislaus Kostka by Stanisław Stroiński decorates the chapel. The Rococo style alter is adorned by the icon of Mary with the Child since XVIII c. covered with the image of Mary and St. John of Dukla by the brush of Józef Chojnicki from the third quarter of the XVIII c. The upper altar part is decorated by the contemporary portrait of St. Maximilian Maria Kolbe. Moreover,the icon of St. Antony by the brush of Anton iRajchan is placed on the altar mensa. The monumental icon of St. Josaphat Kuntsevychmartyrdom and commemorative plaquein honor of Lviv metropolitan archbishop Andrzej Alojzeg Ankwicz (1774-1838) is set on the wall of the chapel.

   
Tutaj
Tutaj
Tutaj
Tutaj

Today in the church:

  • 7:00 am Holy Mass in Polish
  • 8:00 am Holy Mass in Latin
  • 9:00 am Holy Mass in Ukrainian
  • 10:15 am Holy Mass in Polish (for children)
  • 11:30 am Holy Mass in Polish (main)
  • 1:00 pm Holy Mass in Polish
  • 3:00 pm Holy Mass in English
    • 5:30 pm Vespers
    • 6:00 pm Holy Mass in Polish (for youth)